Mike's progress

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday night or Part 2

Hello again. I just finished watching a documentary called Fat Head. It was following a man who ate at fast food places for 28 days and actually lost weight. The film Super Size Me from a few years ago was about a man who ate at fast food for a month and his health went to crap. Anyway, this was the exact opposite to that film. The guy in Fat Head lost 12 pounds (I think) and his health tests (cholesterol, bodyfat and hdl/ldl) improved. He didn't just eat salads either. He stayed close to 2000 calories and didn't drink the sodas. About halfway into the movie, the low fat heart healthy diet we know came under fire. By the end, he had tried a low carb diet full of fats and oils and his health improved quite a bit more. So basically, per the film, grains will become sugar in our body, the body will produce insulin to get rid of causing it to be stored as fat, fats from animals are good for the body and oils from plants are causing heart disease. Pro-low carb diet film for sure.

I have did the low carb thing many times. Lost weight fast, bloodwork always improved and sometimes I felt good. Other times, I felt lethargic and cruddy. No matter when I did low carb one thing remained the same. When I cheated at all or went back to eating fruits, potatoes and pasta, I gained BIG time. So I was not tempted to go back to low carbing after I watched this, but I did have a moment of wondering if I was doing the right thing by just eating lean meats, veggies and fruits, oatmeal and brown rices. After all, they did show doctors who said grains were bad for us and fatty foods were actually better foods. But, Super Size Me had experts say fatty foods are bad for us. And another movies says this is bad for us, and another says...You get the point. Confusion due to hundreds of experts all contradicting each other. I'm sticking with my oatmeal, fruit and/or egg whites and turkey bacon for breakfast. I'll continue my lean meat, veggies and more fruit for lunch and snacks. My dinner will be pretty much the same and maybe a whole grain brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat bread/tortilla will be added with it. I am losing weight (slowly, but surely) and I feel good. When I look at my food log, it actually is lower in carbs because I avoid the processed crap that is primarily carbs.

Here is today's summary. Oatmeal with 2 egg whites for breakfast. Mexican chicken breast, fat free refried beans and shredded cheese on whole grain Flatout wrap. Dinner was chicken mushroom marsala over brown rice. I got a 30 minute walk in and drank 48 ounces of water. Pretty good day! Chloe made me and her a weight loss tracker board for our weekly weigh ins that will start Friday. She has every Friday on it through July 22nd (the day before our vacation to Myrtle Beach starts). She has written some things on it that inspires us to lose weight. Like "Myrtle Beach", "Kings Island", "Shopping", etc. Regarding the home weigh ins, they will be different weights than when I weigh at work. Me and Chloe weigh in our pajamas/underwear when at home, but at work they frown on that so I will have my work office clothes on. I will post both weights here on my blog, but my weight from work is what my starting weight of 403 comes from. The home weight is basically so me and Chloe can support each other and share the experience.

Have a great Monday friends. Feel free to leave comments. I'm here for anyone who needs support or just wants to share weight loss success, tips and info.

No comments:

Post a Comment