Mike's progress

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

So far so good...

Day 2 of contest. Ate really well all day and had a large -but healthy - dinner. Total calories were around 2000 but all were from low fat, lower carb and mostly natural foods. lots of chicken breast meat (grilled or baked), brown rice, steamed veggies and had a couple low fat tortillas with fat free refried beens and salsa to go with the chicken for dinner.

I feel so good today. It is amazing that two days of eating smart can make a person feel so good but one will easily do away with that good feeling for a burger and fries or pizza. I have did it so many times, but know I have it in me to stay the course and not screw up this time. I let mom have my copy of Half Assed to read. She is finding the same motivation as I did in it. She is trying to do good eating with me but some old habits die hard. Tonight I took her to the grocery store. As we both filled our carts with proper foods for each of our homes, she reached back into old habits...all ready. As she shows me a marked down cut of fairly lean round steak, I acknowledge and tell her "looks good, just trim off all the fat and that won't be bad at all". Figure not much fat marbling in round steak, all the fat is easily seen to be cut off and red meat in moderation has good qualities. Mom however looks at me shocked and replies "that fat makes it moist and taste good". Failed. As I remind mom that fat also has lead to the countless stints and double bypass on her heart she seen the light. I say that but deep down know that instead of taking it home, trimming it and throwing it on the indoor grill she most likely just cut it in strips (fat and all) and through it in a skillet with a little (too much) oil and then added some stir fry veggies and thinks she had a dinner that wasn't too unhealthy. Eventually I hope to modify her habits, but right now I gotta focus on me. I am a fragile healthy eater. I can go from 1600 calories to 6000 in an hour. The important thing is taking it one day at a time.

Work was better today. Getting used to my crew being gone. Again I thank my buddies for texting me today to say hello. Tomorrow boss is back and I will know if I work Saturday. I hope I do so I can be off Friday to go to my daughter's 5th grade graduation. I don't get to go to a lot of my kid's events at school. This one means a lot to her so I'd like to go. I can't wait until I have lost my weight and am able to do the active things they'd like to do with me...and so I'm not the fat dad that in a few years they will be ashamed to be seen with. It's late, gotta get up early...goodnight all (or just me).

No comments:

Post a Comment